Have your supervisors passed the Master Matrix for 2018?
It’s Master Matrix time again! Seventy-three counties have passed the Master Matrix Resolution so far — which they must do every year by January 31 in order to recommend denial of factory farms.
Has your county taken this important step in the Clean Water Fight?
Figure 1: counties that have passed the Master Matrix Resolution and sent it in to the DNR as of January 22, 2018.
The Master Matrix is one of the few ways counties and citizens can weigh in on factory farm construction in their communities. We know it’s far from perfect. In fact, this year, Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement and our allies at Food & Water Watch filed a legal petition to finally strengthen this 15-year-old scoring system. The Department of Natural Resources passed the buck.
But here’s the thing: the Master Matrix is all we have right now. Until we get a moratorium and local control, let’s use every tool in our toolbox to fight factory farms.
Here are 3 simple steps to passing the Master Matrix in your county
- Call your county supervisors and ask them to put it on their next agenda if they haven’t already.
- Make sure they sent a copy to the DNR. They have to do this before January 31st or it doesn’t count.
- County boards of supervisors may approve the resolutions at any time, but must submit resolutions between January 1 and 31, 2018.
- Send resolutions to Kelli Book at DNR, 502 E. Ninth St., Des Moines, IA 50319, email to Kelli.Book@dnr.iowa.gov or fax to 515-725-8201.
- Let us know how your conversations go!
- We’re tracking this county-by-county and will send periodic updates. Let us know when your county has passed the Master Matrix!
Join the Clean Water Fight
Factory farm proposing to build near you? Have concerns about an existing facility? We can work with you and your community to fight back and stand up for clean air, clean water, and your quality of life.