Phoning your legislator is easy and makes a big impact
Legislators say over and over again that hearing from their constituents makes a difference in how they vote. And, more specifically, legislators say that they prefer to hear from their constituents directly, either in person or by phone.
Phoning your legislator is easy! Follow these five simple steps to make sure your legislators know what you care about:
1) Call the switchboard and ask for your legislator
House Switchboard: 515-281-3221 Senate Switchboard: 515-288-3371
2) State your name and where you’re from
3) Be brief, but clear and concise about why you’re calling and what you want them to do.
4) You don’t have to know all the answers. If they ask a question you can’t answer, let them know you’ll get back to them on it.
5) If they are not there, leave your name, number, and a message.