Another victory for Hardin County!
January 4, 2017
At the tail end of 2017, CCI members in Hardin County successfully pressured their county supervisors to vote 2-1 to deny an Iowa Select hog factory expansion! This happened because the community showed up, spoke out and got organized.
Here’s what Iowa Select did next: They published full-page ads in multiple Hardin County newspapers in attempts to win over the community – even going so far as to say “Manure can actually improve our water quality.”
You know what? We call that a victory, too. We’ve forced the 5th largest hog producer in the country to go on defense. That means we’re making strides in the court of public opinion.
But, we’re not out of the woods yet: the application is headed to the Department of Natural Resources, who will make the ultimate decision on whether or not Iowa Select can expand its factory farm. This means we’ll likely need to go back to the supervisors and ask them to appeal the DNR’s approval of the factory farm.
Here are the next steps to stop this Iowa Select factory farm:
- Attend the Supervisor hearing in Eldora (courthouse) on Wednesday, January 10 @ 10am
- Let’s keep encouraging the supervisors to do the right thing!
- Call the Hardin County Supervisors and ask them to appeal if DNR approves this factory farm
- BJ Hoffman – 641-939-8220
- Lance Granzow – 641-939-8221
- Renee McClelland – 641-939-8222
- Join Iowa CCI as a member to support our work to stop factory farms and fight for clean water across the state.
Join the Fight!
- Ready to take action? Contact us to learn how to get actively involved in this fight.
- Join as an Iowa CCI member
- Sign up for our email Action List
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.