725 polluted waterways is too many.
We are at a crisis moment in Iowa’s Clean Water Fight.
Iowa now has 725 polluted waterways, according to a draft of the DNR’s 2014 list of polluted waterways. Nearly 60% of all of the waterways they tested are polluted. This means that the number of Iowa’s polluted waterways has increased 15% in the past two years.
Everyday Iowans know factory farm manure pollution is part of the problem, and the DNR must act now, crack down, and clean it up!
That’s why we’re auditing DNR inspections and permit decisions over the coming months to put together our case for the DNR to issue CWA permits for factory farms so they are held to tougher standards or shut down.
Here is the latest:
A team of CCI members spent hours auditing and mapping 234 Manure Management Plans (paper work they must file with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources ) in five Iowa counties – Adair, Boone, Dallas, Guthrie, and Sac. The results are alarming – read more here.
What the Clean Water Fight is all about:
We envision a Clean Water Iowa, and we know we have to stop factory farm manure pollution to make that happen. So, what are we going to do?
Hold the DNR accountable to using the Clean Water Act rule – they must:
- Issue Clean Water Act permits (holds factory farms to higher standards and gives us the ability to shut down polluters) to factory farms that pollute
- Do inspections that find problems and fix problems
- Issue tough fines and penalties that actually deter future manure pollution
Together we’ll push the DNR to begin issuing clean water act permits to factory farms and hold them accountable for the pollution they create.
What we’ve achieved the past seven years of the Clean Water Fight:
- We forced the EPA to act. The DNR signed a historic work plan agreement with the EPA requiring them to inspect thousands of factory farms and establish stronger operating standards to curb factory farm water pollution.
- We kept a steady, healthy public debate of this issue in news outlets across the state.
- 4,818 Iowans submitted comments for a stronger Clean Water Act rule during the DNR’s official public comment period – 97% of all the comments made.
- We turned in an additional 4,000 pledges in support of a Clean Water Iowa collected between the end of the comment period and the vote.
- That means nearly 10,000 Iowans spoke out to end factory farm manure pollution!
- A team of CCI members spent hours auditing and mapping 234 Manure Management Plans (paper work they must file with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources ) in five Iowa counties – Adair, Boone, Dallas, Guthrie, and Sac. The results are alarming – read more here.
They DUMP it, you DRINK it, we won’t stop ’til they clean it up!
- The DMWW clean water lawsuit
- We’re reminded daily why the CWA is important
- 4 ways the DNR can strengthen the Clean Water Act rules
- Why do we want Clean Water Act permits issued to factory farms?
- Timeline of how CCI members pushed DNR to come into compliance with the Clean Water Act
- Read more...
Join the Fight
Factory farm proposing to build near you? Have concerns about an existing facility? We can work with you and your community to fight back and stand up for clean air and water and your quality of life.
- Contact us for more information
- Join as an Iowa CCI member
- Sign up for our E-Mail Action list to get the latest updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter