Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement (Iowa CCI) is a grassroots, member-led organization that builds the power of everyday people to secure social, economic, environmental and racial justice for all. We fundamentally believe that everyday people can be a powerful force for justice and that people most directly impacted by an issue should be in the driver’s seat – making decisions and taking leadership roles. We get things done on tough issues by being strategic, persistent, and by dealing directly with decision-makers.
We are seeking an intern from June – August who would be part of the Worker Justice team working for a $15 minimum wage and better working conditions. We are working to engage fast food workers to take action with us for a better workplace and wages.
Candidates should be available to work 20-40 hours/week, depending on availability. This person would reach out to different communities in Des Moines and Central Iowa to identify, engage and mobilize workers. We are looking for someone who is passionate about social justice, outgoing, energized and driven, can work well as part of a team, wants to learn about community organizing, knows how to converse with others in an engaging manner and willing to get your hands dirty to make change in Iowa.
- Palm card canvassing
- 6-10 hours/week of handing our palm cards to workers and directing them to our website
- Engage workers while you’re palm card canvassing
- Keep track of tabling opportunities in the Des Moines area and inform staff
- Recruit CCI members and staff to help table
- Be the primary tabling person
- Bring all necessary materials
- Engage and have good conversations with petition signers
- Follow up with workers and petition signers
- Send timely follow up to all people with a letter or email
- Communicate with staff about who makes sense to meet with 1-on-1 to engage further in organizing work
- Work with staff to find creative new ways to engage workers
- Work with staff to critique and find better ways to engage workers
- Turnout for events
- Be at our bi-monthly “Fast Food Fridays” where we rally outside of a fast food restaurant in support of workers and raising the minimum wage
This is an unpaid internship. We will work with your school to make sure you get credit if that applies.
How to apply
Email resume by May 31, 2015 to:
Bridget Fagan, Worker Justice Organizer, firstname.lastname@example.org
>> Please put “Fight for $15 intern” in the subject line.
Women, LGBTQ and People of Color strongly encouraged to apply.